Facebook is becoming passe’ and image driven communication is an absolute must with teenagers today. One of the growing social networks for teen use is Instagram. So how can we use Instagram for our youth ministry? Here is one way to use it for sending out news messages about youth.
How to Use Instagram For Youth Ministry
You will need to create an account. You can download the Instagram app on your device, or sign up online. You will then want to get one of the Instagram third party apps, or apps that allows you to edit photos. Connect these two apps to your social networks of choice. I connect mine through to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Flickr. Flickr is just as a back up mechanism.
1. Choose the photo you want to base your image around. I am using this graphic logo for Stop Hunger Now
2. Use a Instagram third party app to get more creative options with your photos. I am using InstaFrame for this example (and I use it myself as well).
3. InstaFrame, and many third party apps will give you various canvas choices to make creative images. For this example I am using a vertical three column canvas.
4. Pick which photos you want to use the image. You might want just one, or maybe nine (Brady Bunch style).
5. The program will layout your images in the canvas you choose.
6. Edit your canvas & image boxes as you want. Color and shape options are all there.
7. You have a finished image. But the fun doesn’t stop there
8. Choose the text function to write something over your image. I would suggest really big font message to take over most of the image.
9. Choose your font style for the image message.
10. Align your text, shape, size using their tool. I wasn’t all that successful this go round getting what I really wanted, but you get the idea.
11. You have your finished image.
12. Now you can send it to Instagram to push out there, or post to Instagram from the third party app.
So, it is not hard to start using Instagram for your youth ministry. Take funny photos of youth and paste some text on them. Make meme’s of the youth with this format. You will find that the youth will jump on the opportunity to share these photos and will tune in as you put your information messages out there, as well as your encouraging and spiritual ones.